She is co-founder of Colour the Community, a Social Arts Initiative in Kenya, which aims to foster creativity and growth inside rural schools and their surrounding community. Samantha is passionate about the exploration of art and creativity to bring communities together through creative intervention through exhibition, festivals, curation and specialised art courses.
While figurative art remains her primary subject matter she also finds inspiration in nature, florals and interior design. Since 2020, inspired like many post Covid-19 restrictions she has been encouraged to extend her art into new business ventures, including turning her art and designs into apparel and upholstery fabrics as well as developing new art classes and programs for aspiring artists looking to develop their art projects. She believes in the power of art and creativity to lift us into higher states of being and is on a mission to help as many passionate creators as possible, find their creative voices through personalised one on one art courses.
THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF ART, LONDON UK
Masters of Research Art | Sep 2022 - Sep 2023
- Place confirmed to undertake critically engaged research project; Drawing to Explore Empathy: Art-Making that Enhances Cross-Cultural Understanding of Migrants and Displaced Peoples.
DUNCAN OF JORDANSTONE COLLEGE OF ART & DESIGN, DUNDEE, UK
Masters in Art & Humanities | Sep 2014 - Nov 2015
- Degree of fine art and philosophy obtained with distinction
- Attended on a full merit scholarship & bursary
- Awarded post-gaduate student of the year for best academic performance
DUNCAN OF JORDANSTONE COLLEGE OF ART & DESIGN, UK
Bachelors in Fine Art | Sep 2010 - Jun 2014
- Degree obtained with a First Class honours with a focus on fine art Selected student to exhibit at the Royal Scottish Academy
- Selected Student for the Royal Scottish Academy bursary to Florence
- Degree show work purchased by Ninewells Hospital Public Collection
OCAD UNIVERSITY, TORONTO, ON, CANADA
Bachelors in Fine Art | Aug 2012 - Dec 2012
- 1 of 2 students selected internationally for a 3- month exchange
DUNDEE COLLEGE, DUNDEE, UK
HNC in Contemporary Art Practices | Sep 2008 - Jun 2010
- Attended on a full merit scholarship and completed course with Distinction
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
2017 - Klein Artist Works scholarship.
2016 - Nominee Scottish Variety Award for Best new Scottish artist.
2016 - The W.Gordon.Smith Competition runner up prize.
2015 - The Fife Decorative and fine Arts Society Award.
2015 - The Duncan of Jordanstone Postgraduate award for best academic performance.
2015 - Royal Scottish Academy John Kinross Scholarship to Florence.
2015 - Friends of the RSA award.
2014 - The Alexander Graham Monro Travel Award, best work for an artist under 30.
2015 - The William Sangster Phillip's academic scholarship and bursary.
2014 - The Hermione Hammond runner up drawing prize.
2010 - The Benni Esposito Drawing Award.
New Blood Art, London UK - Selected artist from across UK Degree shows (2014-present) Galeria AFK, Lisbon, Portugal (2017-present)
The Royal Scottish Academy John Kinross Scholarship Collection Ninewells Hospital Private & Public Collection / Medical Library University of Dundee Fine Art Collections, Tower Foyer & Lamb Galleries
ARTIST RESIDENCIES & SOCIAL PROJECTS
CO-FOUNDER OF SOCIAL ARTS INITIATIVE - COLOUR THE COMMUNITY, KENYA | AUG 2017 - NOV 2017
- 1 of two artists selected worldwide to implement creative education to underprivileged schools
- Fundraising, giving workshops, exhibition curation, performances, public mural and presentations
TAFARIA CASTLE, KENYA | SEP 2016 - NOV 2016
- 1 of two artists selected worldwide to deliver socially engaging residency program with underprivileged schools
- Fundraising, giving workshops, exhibition curation and public presentations
- Grant writing and artist collaboration
ZORBA THE BUDDHA, NEW DELHI| APRIL 2016 - MAY 2016
- 1 artist selected worldwide to participate in the program Personal art practice development and public exhibition
- Art workshop design and delivery to international visitors
JIWAR, BARCELONA, SPAIN | FEB 2016 - MAR 2016
- 1 of 5 artists selected worldwide to participate in the program
- Personal art practice development and public exhibition
JOHN KINROSS SCHOLARSHIP | FLORENCE, ITALY | SEP 2015 - NOV 2015
- 1 of 10 artists selected nationwide in Scotland from the Royal Academy in Edinburgh to make practice-based research in Florence
- Meeting with Royal Academy to demonstrate work produced and give public presentation.
2019 - A Collective Public (Part 1) - Fabrica Braço de Prata, Lisbon, Portugal.
2015 - Beyond The veil, Masters show, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, Dundee.
2012 - Open up I'm Burning Through The Blossom Lounge, Toronto.
2012 - The Pittenweem Arts Festival, Pittenweem, Fife.
2011 - The Pittenweem Arts Festival, Pittenweem, Fife.
2020 - Sustainable Connection – Con Gusto/Unobvious Lab, Lisbon, Portugal
2020 - MFA Alumni Show, Flora Kirsch Beck Art Gallery: Alma College, Michigan, USA.
2019 - Ateliers Abertas Edição 3, Rua Conceição da Gloria, Lisbon, Portugal.
2017 - 12 x 12 - Galeria da Graça, Lisbon, Portugal.
2017 - Ateliers Abertas, Rua Conceicao da Gloria, Lisbon, Portugal.
2017 - Imagining the Future, A School and Community Arts Development Initiative - with Chittaranjan Nayak, as part of c-Hub and Tafaria foundation, at Tafaria Castle, Nyeri, Kenya.
2016 - Group show of community projects as part of c-Hub and Tafaria foundation at Tafaria Castle, Nyeri, Kenya.
2016 - Supporting Mind Scotland, The Image Collective Gallery, Ocean Terminal, Edinburgh, Scotland.
2016 - Zorba the Buddha International Residence Exhibition, Delhi, India.
2016 - Gallery 48 Opening Night, Gallery 48, Westport, Dundee, Scotland.
2016 - Open Studio Exhibition, Jiwar International Residence for Artists and Researchers in Urban creativity, Barcelona, Spain.
2016 - The W. Gordon Smith Painting Competition Exhibition, The Dovecot Gallery, Edinburgh.
2016 - RSA Open, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, Scotland.
2015 - Winter Postcard Show, WALL PROJECTS, 13 Bents Road, Montrose, Scotland.
2015 - ARTSYLAND 9 NEW GRADUATES EXHIBITION II, WALL PROJECTS, 13 Bents Road Montrose, Scotland.
2015 - New Scottish Artists. The Fleming Collection Gallery, London.
2015 - New Contemporaries 'Selected Artist', RSA (Royal Scottish Academy) Edinburgh.
2015 - RSW (Royal Society Watercolours), RSA (Royal Scottish Academy) Edinburgh.
2014 - Solstice Gallery De Goede Toronto, ON.
2014 - Winter Tales, Duncan of Jordanstone College of art and Design, Dundee.
2014- Best of Degree show, The Sixfoot Gallery, Glasgow.
2014 - Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art Degree Show, Dundee.
2013 - Open Up I'm Burning Through, Top Floor Studio, Toronto.
2015 - STV Dundee, Award-winning Dundee artists pick up nearly £5k in prizes, by Joe Birchenall.
2015 - Dundee Wave 102 Radio, Interview on RSW Alexander Graham Monro Travel Award.
2013 - Holly In The City blog, Upcoming Art Show, Open Up I'm Burning Through.